Under the direction of the Manager, System Planning and Design, the incumbent will be responsible for developing robust and up-to-date forecasts of electricity sales and system maximum demand, as well as contributing to the process of identifying the expected detailed requirements on the various parts of the Company's network. The principal responsibilities of the Demand Forecasting Economist are:
ESSENTIALS OF THE JOB
- Provide economics-related and econometric inputs to a small demand forecasting team that is responsible for forecasting electricity sales and maximum demand for medium and long-term planning purposes.
- Manage an annual process of electricity demand forecasting for the medium and long-term – including the provision of forecasts of electricity sales, system maximum demand, maximum demands on individual substations, system losses, generation requirements and expected purchases from independent power providers.
- Identify, develop and maintain a set of suitable forecasting models – and use these models to produce the required forecasts.
- Update forecasts as and when required.
- Monitor actual sales and other out-turn performance against forecasts, identify variances and explain likely reasons for such variances.
- Collect information from within GPL (such as, for example, actual sales by different classes of customer) for use within the forecasting models; interfacing with other GPL departments to facilitate this. Identify any adjustments that are required to such data to ensure that it is consistent over time and usable within the models.
- Interface with Government agencies, private organizations and companies, and international bodies such as multi-lateral lending agencies to identify and gain access to information that can be used to construct and operate the forecasting models previously referred to.
- Provide demand forecasting inputs to GPL’s Development and Expansion plan and other planning activities including financial planning.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by a duly Authorized Officer.