Transport Sr. Specialist
The team: The IDB's Transport’s Division (INE / TSP) promotes economic development and quality of life of the people in Latin America and the Caribbean through transportation and infrastructure activities in a safe, efficient, affordable, and sustainable way.
What you’ll do:
- Provide technical support and advice to the Bank's clients in transport matters, project and knowledge management, and coordination with other non-sectorial technical areas, seeking to make valuable contributions to Bank projects.
- Dedicatedly oversee and manage Bank operations in the country, including investment projects and technical cooperation. In addition to adequate project management, oversight and management activities should seek complementary technical support to the public entities involved with a view to improving the management of these projects and institutional capacities at the broad level.
- Evaluate institutional capacity and analyze sectoral policies related to the conceptual and operational design of projects.
- Design operations for all modes of transport, with emphasis on the impacts of the project on economic and social development, the institutional capacity of the borrower to execute the project and design of benchmarking systems which allow the evaluation and monitoring of the project.
- Identify government demands in the sector to provide timely response in technical or financial support and participate in the programming and evaluation processes of loans and technical cooperation.
- Engage in transport dialogue with governmental, national, and subnational authorities, as well as representatives of the private sector, aiming to develop transport sector programs and policies in the context of each country.
- Develop a profound knowledge of both, the composition and evolution, of the financing of the sector in the country of allocation, establishing close contact with counterparts from other national, regional, and multilateral financing entities who operate in this sector.
Skills you’ll need:
- Education: Degree in Engineering or Economics with a master’s degree, preferably related, with specialization in one or more of the following infrastructure areas: Urban Transport, Logistics, Road Safety, Intelligent Transport Systems, and Major Projects.
- Experience: Five (5) years of professional experience required, seven (7) or more years highly desirable (preferably international) in the planning, design and evaluation of transport projects. Broad knowledge of the functioning of the public sector (ministries, national agencies, local governments, etc.)in countries of the region and a deep understanding of the reality of the sector.
- Languages: Minimum of two official languages of the Bank. Full proficiency of English and deep understanding of Spanish is desirable.
Link to Technical Competencies
- Technical Sector Dialogue - Engages in policy dialogue based on solid knowledge of the sector, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies and guidelines.
- Sector Development - Takes actions to promote sector priorities based on country and regional needs and key IDB priorities.
- Economic and Sector Work - Develops and applies economic and/or sector analytic work to support the preparation of country, sector and regional strategies and country dialogue, loan operations and technical assistance programs.
- Project Analysis and Design - Conceptualizes, prepares and participates in the approval of projects and programs (loans and technical cooperation), in coordination with other team members and the respective authorities.
- Change Management - Formulates and implements integrated change proposals to contributeto sector modernization and transformation in borrowing countries.
- Project Supervision - Effectively supports the execution of projects and programs to maximize their results.
- Monitoring and Evaluation - Designs and implements effective monitoring and evaluation methodologies for projects and programs.
- Knowledge Management and Dissemination - Effectively shares and disseminates economic/sector knowledge and learning experience to enhance the relevance of the IDBto borrowing countries and the region.
Link to Core Competencies
- Collaboration, Teamwork and Inclusion: Works cooperatively with others independent of background (e.g., gender, ethnic origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, background, perspective) or organizational role, and takes a teambased and inclusive approach to projects and decision making.
- Innovation and Creativity: Develops imaginative ideas and solutions through creativity, experimentation and critical thinking.
- Communication and Influence: Communicates effectively and leverages relationships and strategies to influence others.
- Client Focus: Understands client needs and provides services that meet their expectations for quality and performance; meets the Bank’s expectations for ethical behavior.
- Type of contract: Fixed term, international staff.
- Location: Suriname
- Requirements: You are a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the Bank.
Client: Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
Salary: Not Disclosed